Sunday 20 January 2019

Easy and Cheap Vegetable Stew


People often say to me that they won't become vegetarian as it's too expensive.  I can tell you now that it's considerably cheaper to be a vegetarian than it is an omnivore.

Last night for dinner I had a delicious vegan meal which cost me next to nothing.

It contained:

1 carrot, sliced
1 parsnip, sliced
1 leak, sliced
Small portion of swede, diced
8 Brussels sprouts
Portion of chopped cabbage
Bisto gravy granules
Horseradish sauce

I placed the carrot, parsnip, swede and leak into a pan of boiling water.  I placed the Brussels sprouts and cabbage into another pan of boiling water.

I left them simmering on the hob for around 15-20 minutes.

I then drained some of the water from each of the pans into a jug, added some Bisto gravy granules (which are vegan) and half a teaspoon of horseradish sauce.

I put all the veg onto my plate poured over the gravy and enjoyed a delicious vegan meal for next to nothing.

I added the horseradish sauce to the gravy so that it gave me the feeling I had a roast beef dinner.  Sometimes I add mint sauce or a little bit of stewed apple to the gravy to give me a 'hint' of lamb or pork.

All of the vegetables are in season now in the UK so are cheap to buy.

I've cut down my carbon footprint as all the veg were grown in the UK, I had no meat - one of the major environmental factors in the world - and I was fed very cheaply

It was nutritious too.  I got loads of vitamins from the veg as well as iron from my greens.

I didn't add any protein to my meal last night but if you want to add something then try adding some beans or peas.  I sometimes add butter beans to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment